Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog has got into the bin and eat the remnants of a cooked

Customer Question

My dog has got into the bin and eat the remnants of a cooked chicken he has been unwell for a couple of days has started eating again but is now being sick with a thick yellow mucus what should we do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Are there any other symptoms of any kind other than the vomiting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

his poo has been black and lose it is normally hard as he does not drink much. he appears to have thick mucus in his mouth and claggy i still cant get him to drink much although he appears to be drinking slightly more than usual

thanks

Hello again Laurence and thanks for the quick reply,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. I am glad I asked for further details from you, the problem you face is that black faeces can be a sign of bleeding into the intestinal tract and this could be due to sharp bone fragments from the chicken. This potentially a very serious situation.

2. I normally give clients home remedies if I can but in your case because of the above my advice is that you should have Deano checked over by a vet ASAP. I hope I am wrong and this is something very minor but best not to take risks.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott