Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I bathed my 14 week old puppy in puppy shampoo for sensitive

Customer Question

I bathed my 14 week old puppy in puppy shampoo for sensitive skin but he seems to have developed a skin reaction what can I do as it is stressing him out
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Rinsing Toby in cool water was just the ticket but I need to know what the ingredients are in that shampoo to be able to comment further. Can you please type those ingredients into our conversation? Can you see changes in the skin - erythema (reddening), a rash, hives?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It doesn't have the ingredients written on sorry and his skin is just red

I understand. Rinsing him will likely suffice but we can reduce that reddening with aspirin at a dose of 20mg/kg with food. If you happen to have prednisone/prednisolone at home, 0.5mg/kg given once should work in that regard as well.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.