Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

for the past three years around this time of year my 7yrs weimariner

Customer Question

for the past three years around this time of year my 7yrs weimariner licks his paws till they become bald only happens at this time of year is it grass related and can I give him antihistamines for it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does he weigh?
2- What is the name of the anti histamine you have? Milligrams?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

around 40/43 . meant to say the other medication makes no difference.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
1- Is this 40-43 lbs (pounds) or kilogram (kg)?
2- So you would like to know what and if you can give him an antihistamine, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

kg. no I would like to know if this could be the answer to the problem. do you think its season related(grasses) as its only happens at the end of sept beginning of oct . and would antihistamine help

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Jennie, yes based on the history if it is only during September-October it is seasonal allergy. It could be grass as well as any of the other environmental allergens, difficult to determine exact allergen without testing. And, yes starting him on an antihistamine would help as these reaction are histamine mediated. You can start him on Benadryl (diphenhydremine) 50mg every 12 hours during this season. Another option is Chlorpheniramine 8mg every 12 hours. You can buy these medication over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist).

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter