Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

Why wont my 5 year old bulldog dog on her walk she will

Customer Question

Why won't my 5 year old bulldog dog poop on her walk she will poop in the garden and has started to poop in the kitchen on a night time she holds it on all day we used to let her poop in the garden but it has all been landscaped she was a rescue dog and we've had her a year if I let her in the garden she will poop but not on her walks on a lovley big field help please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Steve O. replied 3 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI, I'm Dr Steve. Some dogs develop very strong bathroom habits and if these habits are disrupted or not allowed to happen, they go through issues trying to decide where they want to go. In Bobbi's case he used to go in the garden and it sounds like things started changing after the landscaping and not allowing him to use the garden anymore. This confuses a dog and he dosen't understand why he can't go in the garden anymore and he doesn't realize that you want him to go in the field suddnely. Since he can't go in the garden he is "choosing " other places to go. This can be a difficult thing to correct. One option would be to let him go back to using the garden for his BMs and hopefully he will stop going in the house. THe other more difficult option would be to continue to try to train him to use the field. The key to training is to give him many opportunities to go where you prefer ( field) and give him treats and lots of praise when he does go in the field. The other part of this is to prevent him from going in the house. If he goes in the field and gets praise he will connect praise to going in the field, but if he also goes in the house he will not understand that he is ONLY allowed to go in the field. He will "learn" that going in the field gets him praise and going in the house is still ok, but he gets no praise. Preventing him from going in the house is the hard part. I have my clients use a crate or kennel in the house to confine him so he has no opportunity to have an accident in the house. By keeping him in the crate in the house, you can control his BMs

Steve O. :

Most dogs won't go where they sleep. Then you need to take him to the field very frequently. Perhaps every 1-2 hours so you can "catch " him going in the field and can show him what he "gets" for going where you want him to. Each time he goes in the field , when you get home you can let him loose in the house for a while because he should be less likely to have an accident in the house. Remember the key is to eliminate the accidents in the house. Hopefully he will soon learn that going in the field is the correct place and he will establish that as his preferred place to go .

Steve O. :

I hope this has helped. If it has would you please click the submit button so i May receive credit for my answer. If you have more questions, please continue. Thanks for using just answer and good luck.

Steve O. :

Hello. Can you see my replies? we occasionally have diffficuty with the chat mode and the customer can't see the answers.

Steve O. :

I am going to switch to Q&A mode so I am sure that you can see my answer. YOu can reply to me in the box that is below the answer. I also have to see patients in 10 minutes, so if I don't reply right away, I will have to check back after work this evening. Thanks again and have agreat day,