Hello i have a 10 year old westie. He currently has a very raspy/ruckely throat. It is much worse when he has had a drink. He also coughs back up some of his food/treat. As he is lay here next to me i can hear his breath rasping in & out. Hes seeming quite well otherwise. Eating well & loving going out walks...though does tire & get out of breath quicker. Any thoughts?
Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question
Sorry to hear about Benny.
I wish to ask some questions first .
1. How long has Benny be showing these symptoms ?
2. Is he on any medication or suffering from any other conditions ?
3. Is he always coming in contact with other dogs (has he had his kennel cough vaccination )?
I shall be awaiting you answers
he has had k cough vaccinations. does see other
hello has had k c vacs. yes he sees dog on park. it has been around in a mild form for a year or so but it just seems t have got worse last cpl weeks. nt on any meds
Thank you for your answer
i replied but cant see it anywhere
As I understand he is otherwise in good health , eating and drinking fine
Has he lost weight recently ?
There could be several reasons for this ongoing cough:
no not atall
1. Lung disease - such as fibrosis in the lungs or other chronic process which develop secondary to old age.
2. Allergic response - Could be that Benny is exposed to an allergen for a some time now which effects his respiratory system and results in coughing .
3. A lingering lung infection is less common , but a parasitical infection should be considered (lung worms) or at times heart worms
4. Neoplastic disease - could be a tumor either benign or malignant which is slowly been growing .
it does seem to be more his throat?
There is always a possibility that the disease resides in the trachea (win pipe ) as well as the main bronchi which continue from the trachea into the lungs .
in order to find out what is the origin of the cough we need to do the following :
1. Perform chest Xrays and upper respiratory xrays (including the throat )
2. collect a fecal sample to be sent away and perform a blood test to check if they might be an infectious cause
ok so it shd be investigated?
3. if nothing is visible by then - then the next step would be to perform a special wash from the throat and lungs which collects a sample from the secreted natural mucous . this is later sent to a laboratory to be analyzed for bacteria and other agents which can help us find the answer and treat Benny as needed
By following all these steps - you are for sure to find the cause for coough
cough and regurgitation
ive been in hospital for 12 weeks & am not able to work at present. ive applied for a council tax discount which wd mean i cd get benny looked at at local PDSA. it will take cple of weeks to come thru. is t k to put off till then?
As long as Benny is in good health , eating and drinking and not struggling too much , then I see no need to be currently concerned . As this is a chronic process , it can wait a few days more till you can find the time
I hope this has helped.
I wish you and Benny the best health and a quick recovery .
If you have any more questions , please let me know and I will be happy to help .
all the best
Please , before leaving our conversation , do not forget to rate it :)
hi. not really your fault but i struggled seeing answers. thank you for your help
Is there anything I can do to help
I shall try and change the format