DR.J
DR.J, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would love to help you with your problem
74293778

Hello i have a 10 year old westie. He currently has a very

Customer Question

Hello i have a 10 year old westie. He currently has a very raspy/ruckely throat. It is much worse when he has had a drink. He also coughs back up some of his food/treat. As he is lay here next to me i can hear his breath rasping in & out. Hes seeming quite well otherwise. Eating well & loving going out walks...though does tire & get out of breath quicker. Any thoughts?

Category: Dog
Expert:  DR.J replied 3 years ago.

DR.J :

Hi , I'm James DVM MRCVS and would like to help you with your question

DR.J :

Sorry to hear about Benny.

DR.J :

I wish to ask some questions first .

DR.J :

1. How long has Benny be showing these symptoms ?

DR.J :

2. Is he on any medication or suffering from any other conditions ?

DR.J :

3. Is he always coming in contact with other dogs (has he had his kennel cough vaccination )?

DR.J :

I shall be awaiting you answers

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

he has had k cough vaccinations. does see other

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

hello has had k c vacs. yes he sees dog on park. it has been around in a mild form for a year or so but it just seems t have got worse last cpl weeks. nt on any meds

DR.J :

Thank you for your answer

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

i replied but cant see it anywhere

DR.J :

As I understand he is otherwise in good health , eating and drinking fine

DR.J :

Has he lost weight recently ?

DR.J :

There could be several reasons for this ongoing cough:

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

no not atall

DR.J :

1. Lung disease - such as fibrosis in the lungs or other chronic process which develop secondary to old age.

DR.J :

2. Allergic response - Could be that Benny is exposed to an allergen for a some time now which effects his respiratory system and results in coughing .

DR.J :

3. A lingering lung infection is less common , but a parasitical infection should be considered (lung worms) or at times heart worms

DR.J :

4. Neoplastic disease - could be a tumor either benign or malignant which is slowly been growing .

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

it does seem to be more his throat?

DR.J :

There is always a possibility that the disease resides in the trachea (win pipe ) as well as the main bronchi which continue from the trachea into the lungs .

DR.J :

in order to find out what is the origin of the cough we need to do the following :

DR.J :

1. Perform chest Xrays and upper respiratory xrays (including the throat )

DR.J :

2. collect a fecal sample to be sent away and perform a blood test to check if they might be an infectious cause

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

ok so it shd be investigated?

DR.J :

3. if nothing is visible by then - then the next step would be to perform a special wash from the throat and lungs which collects a sample from the secreted natural mucous . this is later sent to a laboratory to be analyzed for bacteria and other agents which can help us find the answer and treat Benny as needed

DR.J :

By following all these steps - you are for sure to find the cause for coough

DR.J :

cough and regurgitation

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

ive been in hospital for 12 weeks & am not able to work at present. ive applied for a council tax discount which wd mean i cd get benny looked at at local PDSA. it will take cple of weeks to come thru. is t k to put off till then?

DR.J :

As long as Benny is in good health , eating and drinking and not struggling too much , then I see no need to be currently concerned . As this is a chronic process , it can wait a few days more till you can find the time

DR.J :

I hope this has helped.

DR.J :

I wish you and Benny the best health and a quick recovery .

DR.J :

If you have any more questions , please let me know and I will be happy to help .

DR.J :

all the best

DR.J :

Dr.J

DR.J :

Please , before leaving our conversation , do not forget to rate it :)

JACUSTOMER-43xp3jnt- :

hi. not really your fault but i struggled seeing answers. thank you for your help

DR.J :

Is there anything I can do to help

DR.J :

I shall try and change the format