Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hello, I went to see a puppy yesterday. It was 5 weeks old.

Customer Question

Hello, I went to see a puppy yesterday. It was 5 weeks old. The other puppies seemed stronger running etc but this one's back legs were quite shaky. Is that usual and down to independent development? He was also rather sleepy. Not sure if that was why. Will be going to see him in a week. Do you think he may be poorly? Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Do you know how long he has been like that? What did the breeder say?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there, thank you for getting back to me. The breeder said she has had some like that before and they develop later. The thing is he was less playful than others and quite tired so wasn't sure what to think.

Hello again Linda and thanks for your reply,

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. Well basically if he is lethargic and shaky he could be running a temperature and so could be in the grip of some infection or other.

2. The breeder may be right but it would be best to have the pup checked over by a vet ASAP in case prescription drugs such as antibiotics may be needed. I guess all you can do though is see how he is in another week, the usual advice would be not to buy any pup which appears sickly but that is so hard ...

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so much. I will see how he is in a week or so. Thanks so much

No problem, glad to have advised you ...

I hope the breeder has him checked over.

Regards,

Scott