Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 12 month old maltipoos poo has been literally running

Customer Question

My 12 month old maltipoo's poo has been literally running out her for the last 4 days. She is still full of fun mischief and is eating and drinking normally. Haven't changed her food or amount given. Should I be concerned.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Yes, you should be concerned because this diarrhea is causing Lotttie to become dehydrated and this coud be very bad for her.

Lottie may have ingested something that did not agree with her that you are not aware of and this is a digestive disturbance. the treatment is as follows:

Fast Lottie for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down. Water is ok.

Give Imodium AD at ½ caplet per 15 pounds of weight every 8 hrs.

After the fast, feed a meal of rice and boiled chicken (2/1).

If this has resolved, wean Lottie onto regular food. If this persists, have your vet examine Lottie. Even the dehydration from this can be serious and then your vet will determine the cause so treatment can be initiated correctly. Certain parasites such as a worm load or protozoan parasites or Coccidia can cause this and these would require other medications.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is Imodium Ad
Hi Monica...this is an anti diarrheal medication used for humans but works well for dogs. This LINK will show you. It can be purchased at any grocery store or pharmacy. This can be very effective for Lottie if this is a mnor digestive distrubance.

Does that help, Monica?