Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my 8 week old beagle puppy cries at night whilst in his crate,

Customer Question

my 8 week old beagle puppy cries at night whilst in his crate, when he starts crying I take him out and he does his business, but as soon as I put him back into the crate he starts crying. he only settles if I stroke him back to sleep, how can I make him go to sleep himself and stop crying?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 3 years ago.

Scott Nimmo : Hello and welcome, My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction.
Scott Nimmo : Tell me where is Bruno's crate, which part of your house?
JACUSTOMER-fo9augb6- : He is in the living room
Scott Nimmo : OK thanks for that, let's work through it ...
Scott Nimmo : this is ac
Scott Nimmo : this is a common problem and a bit like having a new baby in the house, if Bruno cries then the best thing to do is to ignore him otherwise a pattern will set in. I know it is hard but he has to learn to fit into your house not the other way round. Most pups will settle down in five days or so
Scott Nimmo : Another good idea is to put a stuffed toy in with him so he can cuddle up to it
JACUSTOMER-fo9augb6- :

ok thank you, does it make a difference where his crate is? he is downstairs because we don't want him upstairs

Scott Nimmo : an old fashioned wind up alarm clock with a loud tick will mimic his mother's heart beat, you should wrap it in a towel. Problem is these are hard to come by these days, most clocks are electronic
Scott Nimmo : Finally it would be an idea to have the crate in your bedroom for the first two weeks or so because then he can see and smell you and this will help him settle down. This is not meant to be a permanent arrangement , as he becomes more relaxed you can move the crate
Scott Nimmo : but simply put the best thing to do is just to ignore him, just like crying child, hard I know
JACUSTOMER-fo9augb6- :

ok thank you very much

Scott Nimmo : No problem, glad to have advised you, we all go through this to some degree with new pups !