Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a 12 year old Irish Terrier. He takes Vetmedin for

Customer Question

We have a 12 year old Irish Terrier. He takes Vetmedin for an enlarged heart and Seraquin for joints.
A year ago he developed a flat, black button shaped half inch diameter "spot" on his outside right leg. Caused him no bother or pain.
But he started two days ago to start licking it - changing it from black to pink - and he cannot leave it alone.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, it sounds like he is developing an acral lick granuloma in the affected area. This is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to make it worst and promote an infection. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.
2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.
3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.
4- If no significant improvement after doing the above, follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter