Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My boxer stomach is rolling and msking noises she is

Customer Question

My boxer bitch stomach is rolling and msking noises she is off her food and has bn sick but its like a foam she also hsd a bit of diahorrea but not now
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Pandora is not feeling well. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
2- Any blood in the stool?
3- How much does she weigh?
4- Is she lethargic?
5- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She weighs 28 kilos yea shes quiet her gums to be honest I cant tell. She hssnt eaten anything t my knowledge

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Tracy, the stomach noises Pandora is having are common when dogs have gastrointestinal problems or are not eating, this is created by the gas and smooth muscle contraction of the intestines. As far as the cause for the vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy there are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination. But, common causes are: Infections, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, inflammation or even secondary to a systemic disease. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 3 days. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-10 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-10 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she is not better after doing the above, she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian fora hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter