Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my 8 month old dog has been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia,

Customer Question

my 8 month old dog has been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia, he is confined to the house for 4 weeks then 5 minute walks will we ever get back to 3 hour walks again
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This is a common first treatment for this condition but most of these cases will require surgical intervention. If this is a mild case, your vet may start with this moderate treatment trying to prevent the need for surgical intervention....this depends on the extent of the damage and individual case. After this period of time, your vet will re evaluate and determine if surgery is required.

This LINK explains in more detail.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ct scan has shown signs of osteoarthritic change and abnormality of ulna, she says surgery does not always work. i am concerned about how i cope woth such a young dog on permanent limited exercise

This is a tough one, Joyce and your vet can prescribe tranquilizers to get Oscar past this period of limited exercise....if immobility can prevent surgical options, this is much better for Oscar....

All you can do, Joyce is the best for your guy....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks

i guess my real worry is if he will be on such limited exercise for life or if he will ever be able to run and play again

Your vet is trying this first to determine if this will respond to limited exercise and then Oscar will be playing like a puppy should. If Oscar does not respond, then surgery will be the next step so he can be a normal puppy...does that help, Joyce? This limited exercise is only for this period fo time.