Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Hi I have a 12 yr old black lab she id starting to wee in the

Customer Question

Hi I have a 12 yr old black lab she id starting to wee in the house on accasion and I have noticed when i walk her her wee smells very strong and fishy. is there anything i can do about this for her ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome, my name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

A couple of questions first ...

Scott Nimmo :

A. How long has this been going on?

Scott Nimmo :

B. Does she drink excessive at present?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

this has been going on for a while now, she does drink but not excessive she is on dried food

Hello again Gill and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. If you are sure your dog is not drinking excessively then this usually excludes reasons such as diabetes or kidney failure. Basically if a dog drinks a lot then it might wee a lot and then have accidents in the house. However in Teal's age group it would be no bad thing to have a quick comprehensive blood test in any case.

2. If you exclude the above general group of conditions then it is possible you are dealing with a chronic urinary tract infection { UTI } . A UTI would be a common cause of dogs urinating in the house. Usually such infections respond well to a course of antibiotics.

If Teal has an UTI your home treatment options are limited. I am aware that lots of people suggest cranberry juice as a home remedy for cystitis in the dog and there may well be something in this. You could either use human quality cranberry juice or there are remedies for sale in pet shops which have cranberry as an active constituent. Another home remedy is vitamin C tablets which you would give on a pro rata dose rate basis between your dog's weight and the human dose, crush them if you have to.

Having said all the above as it is possible that prescription drugs will be needed and other diagnosis are possible then it may be best to have Teal checked over by your vet at the next possible opportunity.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott