Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog (greyhound ) chased a cat today and her back legs went

Customer Question

My dog (greyhound ) chased a cat today and her back legs went away from her, and she has scraped several places on her feet and in and around her toes, I have bathed the places and applied savlon, is there anything else i should do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.

Scott Nimmo :

Hello and welcome. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Scott Nimmo :

Tell me does Anna appear to be in pain or discomfort at all?

Hello again Lilian and thanks for waiting.

Sorry to hear about Anna's accident. However I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. The short answer is that if you were to wash the affected areas with luke warm salt water twice a day and then dab the area dry with clean kitchen paper and then apply the Savlon the chances are it will all be well on it's way to healing in five days or so.

2. Of course if the scrapes start to look infected then you may need antibiotics from your vet but if you follow the above then that probably will not be necessary.

3. If Anna is in pain I can suggest a dose rate for aspirin for her, this being the only reasonably safe over the counter pain killer for dogs.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott