Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My ten year old dog is in heat, woke up this morning to fairly

Customer Question

My ten year old dog is in heat, woke up this morning to fairly large pools of blood where she has been lying over night she is a boxer cross, is this normal or should I be worried?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Is your girl feeling weak?

Is there any pus with this discharge?

Is there still bleeding?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi thanks for your reply.

My dog is feeling sorry for herself but she was out playing and chasing a ball this morning with no problems.

I can't see any puss, just seems like a lot of blood over night and the blood she is loosing seems to be quite thick.

She is still bleeding (I presume because she is still in season). She is eating her wet food fine but is turning her nose up at her dry food. If she drinks a lot of water she sometimes brings this back up.

I am more worried because she has never had a season where she has lost this amount of blood and it being of a thick consistency.

Many thanks,

Sharleen

Thank you Sharleen for that information.

It is normal for dogs in the Proestrus cycle to bleed some but not thsi amount. Considering your girl's age and thsi amount of bleeding, I fear that she may have a persistent follicle or cancer of her uterus or reproductive system.

If I were you, I would take your girl directly to your vet since this could be a very serious situation and immediate treatment could save her life. Endometriosis can cause this and the only treatment is spay.

Does that make sense to you, Sharleen?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta