Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my dog has started nesting in her bed. She is very defensive

Customer Question

my dog has started nesting in her bed. She is very defensive of this territory. She is eating and drinking well. But although she appears okay her behaviour has changed. I have another dog and if he goes near her when she is in bed she growls. This is a change also.She normally sleeps upstairs but now wants to remain in her be din the living room.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry that Bella is not feeling well....

Most likely Bella has suffered an injury to a disc in her back. This is very common in jack russels because of their conformation. Since Bella does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain that is beong shown by not wanting to move and her feeling cranky when your other dog comes near. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Bella jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Bella is eating well now, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Bella to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX