Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Hello about a month ago I bought a 4 month old french bulldog

Customer Question

Hello about a month ago I bought a 4 month old french bulldog male.he didn't smell very nice when I got him, but the house he was in didn't smell very nice either. He has some red patches that are bald one on his front let one on the back of his neck , the inside of one of his back legs and the inside of one of his armpits. Is this red mange , he is know 5 months old do I need to do anything or will it heal itself.
Thanking you
Gloria Kemp
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Dr. Drew :

certainly, Demodectic Mange is a possible explanation for patchy hair loss in a young puppy,

Dr. Drew :

a skin scraping is easily performed by a veterinarian, to check for this condition.

Dr. Drew :

there's no way to diagnose this without a skin scraping.

Dr. Drew :

Other possible causes include bacterial infection and/or yeast infection.

Dr. Drew :

Ringworm (fungal infection) also is possible.

Dr. Drew :

so if the skin scraping is negative (no mites), then some tests need to be done for those other issues.

Dr. Drew :

At-home care, without a diagnosis, would have to consist of antimicrobial shampoo twice a week, such as one containing Chlorhexidine or Benzoyl peroxide.

Dr. Drew :

If there is no improvement within 7-10 days, then veterinary care is surely a requirement.