Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

my 1 year old Cavalier King Charles is having trouble pooing

Customer Question

my 1 year old Cavalier King Charles is having trouble pooing !! I took him to the vets on tues as he was 'skating' and there was mess in his bed(just sloppy stuff) and I noticed there was blood in it a little, the vet said his glands were very full so she emptied them. I don't think hes been since and today and yesterday I have noticed he is straining a lot and nothing is coming out apart from a bit of liquid which is making his back end a mess, also his anus seems very red( from straining I presume ??) Any advice on what I should do ?? any food that will help him go ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Dudley has not had a bowel movement since Tuesday, correct?
2- Did your vet send him home on medications?
3- Any vomiting?
4- Is he constantly straining trying to go?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.