Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

my lab mix is 5 years and 10 months old and she recently got

Customer Question

my lab mix is 5 years and 10 months old and she recently got stuck at the top of the stairs and had to bunny hop to get going again..what could be wrong with her and what can i do to help her?
Emma
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

What do you mean by getting stcuk? Could she not move?Front or rear legs?

Was she afraid? What was the bunny hop? Could Mollie only use her hind legs?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she wouldnt or couldnt move then did a type of bunny hop where by she moved by using her hind legs together ..no she wasnt afriad she had just climbed the stairs.,, she was fine afterwards and even jumped onto my bed..she didnt appear to be in pain and still doesnt appear to be in any pain..

Thank you Emma for that information...

There is a hereditary condition called Luxated Patella which causes the kneecap to become stuck and this means that Mollie may not be able to move until the kneecap moves back into place. If thsi si the case, it is minor since you have never seen this before but it is worth having your vet examine Mollie's knees to be sure. LINK

It also may have been that Mollie suddenly felt something that injured her while climbing the stairs and this resolved itself.

Watch her for awhile, Emma, to see if thsi happens again...if it does, have Mollie checked by your vet.

Does that make sense to you, Emma?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta