Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

I have a 5 year old yellow Labrador bitch. She is in apparently

Customer Question

I have a 5 year old yellow Labrador bitch. She is in apparently good health, eating, playing etc as normal. But she has developed a black line from nail bed to edge in one of her rear claws. The others are all normal.

I am a nurse. In a human this would almost certainly be melanoma. She is my seventh Labarador, we have had two at a time for thirty six years. I had her "aunt". She developed a melanoma on her upper lip when she was about 13. She was a black Lab.

If this is melanoma - and unless you can tell me for sure that I am being over anxious, I will have her at out vet tomorrow. What might be available to treat her please?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Scarlett :

Dr. Scarlett :

Are you able to post a picture? Is the black line in/on the nail itself or is it on the skin?

JACUSTOMER-mj4d03t5- :

The line is in the nail.

Dr. Scarlett :

Thanks. It is a line or more of a diffuse coloring? Definitely black or more brown?

Dr. Scarlett :

Does the toe seem to bother her or seem swollen? Is that nail growing faster or thicker than the other nails?

Dr. Scarlett :

Melanoma of the toe/nail tends to be pretty invasive and ulcerative. I've never seen it as just a stripe down an otherwise normal nail. Sometimes yeast infections can cause a dark brown staining on the nail that doesn't scrape off and I've seen that on only 1 nail.

Dr. Scarlett :

If it is melanoma, than amputation of that digit would be the first thing done. There is also a melanoma vaccine that an oncologist would likely recommend.

Dr. Scarlett :

Here is a good website with more info on melanomas: http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2941

JACUSTOMER-mj4d03t5- :

The line is a clearly defined line. Not diffused. The nail looks otherwise fine and the foot otherwise is fine too.

Dr. Scarlett :

Without seeing it in person, but based on your description, I'm guessing it is nothing serious. Could be due to trauma to the nail itself. But I would go ahead and have it checked out.

Dr. Scarlett :

Do you have any other questions or comments?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will go to bed hoping that it is trauma but will get her to the vet tomorrow. We are very well served with great vets and Glasgow University vet hospital just across the road from us.

i have an interest in melanoma and have seen pics of this sort of line in nails and they were mm.

I so hope I am wrong.

Thank you for your time.

leigh