Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi My female king Charles is 12 years old and she is not

Customer Question

My female king Charles is 12 years old and she is not eating very well. I usually give her Burns dry food but she won't eat it any more, in fact she has hardly eaten anything in the last week. I have given her potato and veg with the food which she usually loves but she doesn't want that either. I took her to the vet and was told physically she is fine I gave them a urine sample and that seems to be ok. I boiled some chicken and gave her some with rice and she did like that. I also took her to be groomed yesterday and the lady said her skin was quite greasy. Have you any suggestions please??
Geraldine
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry to hear of this with Holly, Geraldine. Any 12 year old who becomes anorexic for that length of time concerns me. The vet may have felt that Hoilly looked physically OK but both you and I know that it's not OK not to eat properly for a week.

The urinalysis was important but I recommend that you insist that blood work (biochemical testing) be performed at this time. It's best to have that performed on at least a 4 hour fast. We're primarily concened with degenerative disorders at Holly's age - chronic renal and hepatic insufficiencies, e.g.

Her skin might be greasy but this finding wouldn't explain her anorexia. Can you tell me, please, if you've noted increased thirst and volume of urination? Did Holly's vet comment on the color of her gums and tongue or her respiratory rate? Was anything untoward found upon palpating Holly's abdomen or auscultating her chest?

I'll await your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for replying.

Holly has been eating and ate the majority of her dinner yesterday

so i'm hoping she will eat today but I think a trip back to the vet may be a good idea. she has been drinking but not excessively. The vet did check her teeth and gums and both ok and listened to her heart which she has a slight murmur and she did mention about blood tests if the urine was ok.Holly does not urinate any more than usual.

Geraldine

Thank you, Geraldine, for the additional information. That's all good news. I'd be more comfortable knowing that her blood work also was good. Holly's murmur is a relatively common finding in her breed at her age. I would be surprised if it were incriminated in Holly's change in behavior.

Please keep me posted. I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.