knstrand
knstrand, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian
71139618

Our puppies are 8 days old. All puppies are putting on weight

Customer Question

Our puppies are 8 days old. All puppies are putting on weight except 1. She has lost a lot of weight and isn't interested in the mothers milk, she just seems sleepy. How can i get her to
eat, bearing in mind that it is almost midnight and all shops and vets are closed.
Category: Dog
Expert:  knstrand replied 3 years ago.

knstrand :

Hello, my name is Dr. Farwell. I can try to help answer your question about your pup

knstrand :

Sorry to hear about the little one. But good that the others are well

knstrand :

Can you open her mouth and check the roof of her mouth - here we are checking to make sure it's solid. If there is a split down the center, she may have a cleft palate which would be a possible cause for her doing poorly

knstrand :

There are many other congenital abnormalities that are possible here - heart conditions being one. This would have to be determined by an examination with your regular vet. We can often pick up on congenital murmurs early because they are very loud.

knstrand :

Unfortunately many of these scenarios, occurring at such a young age would likely result in her eventually passing away

JACUSTOMER-qkd7xa5v- :

No, their is no split down the centre

knstrand :

Good. Will she suckle from a bottle if you try to supplement her?

knstrand :

Sometimes additional supplementation is necessary, especially if mom has many other pups.

knstrand :

You could try going to your local pet supply store and picking up some puppy milk replacer and a bottle. If she is really very weak, this might be her only chance at making it.

knstrand :

Small breed pups can become hypoglycemic ( low blood sugar) quickly if they haven't eaten for a several days

knstrand :

How many pups are in the litter?

JACUSTOMER-qkd7xa5v- :

5 pups in the litter

knstrand :

Cairn Terriers are also predisposed to congenital liver shunts. This is an abnormal blood vessel that shunts blood around the liver. These pups often fail to gain weight, and are poor doers. It can affect them very young, or after they are several months old. However these individuals are often called the "runts" of the litter

knstrand :

My recommendation for now would be to keep her warm. If you have any puppy milk on hand, try to get some down her. You can also give a small amount of Karo syrup on her tongue if she will take it.

knstrand :

1st thing in the morning I would take her to your regular veterinarian for examination. However, if she is really doing very poorly, you may want to consider an emergency facility if you have one in your area.

knstrand :

Small pups can pass away within 12 hours of dehydration and low blood sugar.

knstrand :

The emergency clinic may have puppy milk and bottles on hand for you .... since pet shops wouldn't be open. Sorry for not registering on that comment earlier, we must be in a diff time zone.

Expert:  knstrand replied 3 years ago.
Please feel free to respond with further questions or concerns.