Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

ive got a working cocker ive got up this morning and hes shaking

Customer Question

got a working cocker got up this morning and hes shaking looks like parkinson

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Max.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Will Max eat and drink? Can he walk?

Shaking can be due to pain, and I have seen dogs with things like pinched nerves and slipped discs be suddenly painful, and shaking. Often there is no accident or fall that causes back problems like this, the dog just suddenly does not want to move around, and shakes.

Shaking can also be caused by having a fever, or from a neurologic disease. Dogs do not get Parkinson's disease, but there are other diseases of the brain and spinal cord that could cause shaking.

The first thing to do is a good physical examination, including checking his reflexes and other parts of his nervous system. This is best done by a veterinarian, but you can check somethings at home: Do his gums look a normal bright pink color, or are they pale? Can you take his temperature (normal is between 101 and 102)? If he will stand, turn each of his feet upside down, so the top of the paw is on the floor, and see how long he takes to put it back; this should a second or less. If he leaves the paw upside down, or takes awhile to correct it, something is wrong like pain, or nerve transmission, and he should see a vet as soon as possible.

You could count his heart rate; it should be under 100 beats per minute. If it is very fast or very slow, his shaking could be due to a heart problem.

Shaking can also be a form of a seizure, low blood sugar, and liver disease.

So, he really get medical attention. Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have done all that you said and hes all normal he can stand but hes just shaking so much hes falling over hes eating and drinking as normal and hes trying to run about like a puppy as he always has done its just as if his body has gone into to spasams

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
If he is falling over, check his eyes to see if there is any back and forth twitching of the eyeballs. It is called 'Nystagmus" and is a sign of a problem in the balance area of the brain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

his eyes are not twitching its mostly his head and legs as if hes cold and hes shaking

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
It would be best to have him examined by a veterinarian, to find the problem causing his shaking. When the cause is known, then we best know how to treat it. He needs a good neurologic exam, and maybe blood tests. Were you able to take his temperature?

You could try giving him some pain medication, to see if that helps. The best and safest pain medications are by prescription. Until you can see your veterinarian, you could try aspirin; that is the only safe over the counter medication and even aspirin can make dogs vomit. Give it with food, and only repeat it every 12 to 24 hours. If he vomits, do not repeat it. If he weighs 30 pounds, he could take two baby aspirin (81mg) or half an adult aspirin.

Please let me know what else I can help with.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ive taken his temp its normal ill give him some aspirin but i have to wait for my husband to come home from work as im disabled and cant get out of the house i will make an appointment for him for letter thank you

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. I hope the aspirin gives him some relief, and you, too. Good that his temperature is normal.

Give the aspirin with food. Try keeping him quiet as possible.

Please let me know if I can answer anything else. I will be checking back to see how he is doing.

Rebecca
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help my daughter has given him the tablet in some food hes laid at the side of me and his shaking has slowed down a bit

thank you again

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else I can answer?

Kindly rate my answer, but only if all your questions have been answered.

I will be checking back to see how Max is doing.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Hello Chris,
How is Max today?

Rebecca