Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 12 yr collie has a cough and sometimes gags when eating

Customer Question

My 12 yr collie has a cough and sometimes gags when eating , he won't drink but he eats small portions .he seems lethargic and some times breathes hard also noticed a very bad smell from his mouth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Ben. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

The bad smell, and gagging concern me that there is something infected in his mouth. It could be a bad tooth, but since he is older, it could also be a tumor in his mouth.

He needs to have a good exam of the mouth, under the tongue, the tonsils, back of the mouth.

If he is not drinking, he could become dehydrated. I am worried that it hurts to lap, and that is why he won't drink. He really needs to have his tongue and throat checked.

Until you can get him checked by a veterinarian, you could see if pain medication helps. About the only over the counter medication safe for dogs is aspirin. If Ben weighs 50 pounds, he could take 2 baby aspirin (81 mg) or half of a regular aspirin, with food, every 12 to 24 hours. Do not repeat it if he vomits at all.

I hope you can get him checked out soon. Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 years ago.
Hello Lucy,
How is Ben doing?

Rebecca