Steve O.
Steve O., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have 20 years of canine clinical and surgical experience
31531426

My puppy has passed a stone. Since then every time he goes

Customer Question

My puppy has passed a stone. Since then every time he goes for a poo there is blood in his stool. Is there anything I can do for him I am planning on atking him to the vet in 45mins
Category: Dog
Expert:  Steve O. replied 3 years ago.

Steve O. :

HI,. I',m Dr Steve. I am sorry to hear about Fred's problem. Is he passing blood alone or mixed with stools?

Steve O. :

I will give you some thoughts. If you are seeing streaks of blood along with stools or if you are seeing small drops of blood, it is possibly irritation from the stone that he passed. If he is still straining or if you are seeing pools of blood ( like a quarter or 50 cent piece) then it is possible that he may have disrupted a blood vessel in the intestines or he may even have another stone in the intestines causing more irritation.

JACUSTOMER-8szgnn13- :

It is mixed, his stools are runny though

JACUSTOMER-8szgnn13- :

He has gone very tired its not like him he is usually jumping around at this time could there be something else wrong with him?

Steve O. :

I have had clients give pepto bismol to help slow down runny stools, but I typically only have them do this if there is no blood. With his history of passing a stone recently, I would not give pepto bismol. Since you are taking him to a vet soon, it would be best not to do anything at home so your vet can see exactly what the stools and blood looks like. They also will have better safer medicine to give him to slow the runny stools and help heal the intestines .

JACUSTOMER-8szgnn13- :

Thanks for your help at least I can stop worrying

Steve O. :

Since he is more tired than usual there certainly could be more going on from more stones to severe intestinal irritation and abrasion from the first stone. Having him examined as soon as you can is the very best thing you can do for him and the best chance at him making a full recovery. I am glad you are taking him in to be seen. I hope this has helped give you some direction or to confirm that you thoughts to take him in are truly in his best interest. If you have more questions, please continue. If not, I wish you luck at the vet and look forward to an updated report when you get back from the vet. Thanks for your question and good luck