Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Hi. I have an 7 week old patterdale terrier who up until

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 7 week old patterdale terrier bitch who up until a few hours ago was perfectly fine. Eating, drinking as normal. She has been sick 5 times and wont eat or drink. I am in middle of worming her with 2nd step of 3 day treatment at 0.6mls as the vet recommended yesterday when she was weighed. I think she may have ate something she shouldnt have (onions out of a chickencurry) as it was contained within her vomit. Can you advise on what to do? She is still playing and very active just now.
Natalie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
Natalie, would you tell me, please, which wormer you've been instructed to administer? I suspect that it's fenbendazole but I need to be sure.

We need look no farther for the etiology of her vomiting than her ingesting such an unfamiliar food. Onions are toxic as well causing an anemia if ingested in sufficient quantities. It takes quite a bit of onion, however, to cause toxicity - at least 5g/kg of body weight. Let me know if her ingesting that amount of onion is likely, please.

For now the appropriate manner in which to proceed is to fast her for at least 6 hours. Water should be left down but if drinking elicits more vomiting, ice cubes for her to lick should replace her water. Her regular food can be reintroduced after her fast but smaller portions fed more frequently throughout the next 24 hour period would be appropriate.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael.

Thanks for speedy response. She is currently on panacur suspension 10%. Given at 0.5mls per kg and she currently weighs 1.2kg. I thought it maybe the onions. Hadnt noticed her eating them. There was only around 5 bits kn total within 2 bouts of vomit. Will monitor her and hopefully will pass as you stated. She is currently chasing my cat around so figure she is ok. :-)

Natalie

Thank you. Panacur (fenbendazole) is well tolerated so we'll incriminate the few bits of onions out of the chicken curry. As you noted, she's feeling too well to be terribly ill.

I'm going to check back with you tomorrow for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thats great. Thanks very much for putting mind at ease. I will post an update in morning to let you know how she is doing.

Natalie

Sounds good, Natalie.

I'll speak to you soon.
May I have an update, please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry been hectic at home. My little puppy made a full recovery by the next morning and is coming on leaps and bounds.

Thanks a million for your advice.

Natalie

What a great update! Thank you for taking the time to update me.

Please disregard the info request.