Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

my lab of 4 is diabetic i took 12 hour reading as he is loosing

Customer Question

my lab of 4 is diabetic i took 12 hour reading as he is loosing waight but eating well his readings are from 8 this morning when he had his insulin 20 units morning 20 night 2.1---20.7--------7.2---------14.3----------17.3--------16.2 he was stabalised ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin

Thank you for the thorough history. The 2.1 reading is so inconsistent with the rest of the blood sugars that I would consider it to be artifactual rather than accurate. The 7.2 is also suspicious and not consistent with the overall curve. I would suggest repeating another curve at the same dose tomorrow before considering a change in dose. Please make sure that your strips are not out of date and your glucometer has been calibrated recently.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.