Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Hi, My dog had an allergic reaction to something yesterday

Customer Question

My dog had an allergic reaction to something yesterday and was given an injection. He seemed fine but tonight he has not gone to sleep and is jumping up every few minutes and lying back down again. He is a rescue dog who we have had for 4 years and is about 12. He does not appear to have inflamed skin anywhere, but is very restless and jumping up really quick and settling back down again. Do you know what could be wrong?

Thanks,
Lucy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is Dr. Andy. I am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Oscar.
It is still very possible that the allergic reaction is persisting. I also cannot rule-out other sources of pain that are agitating him.

Benadryl antihistamine may be worthwhile to give, as it can have some sedative effects as well.
Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Another antihistamine to consider is zyrtec (cetirizine). It's advantage is that it is only given once a day. The dose is about 1mg per 2 pounds of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get a 10mg dose. It comes over the counter as 5mg or 10mg tablets. Another resource suggests starting with no more than 10mg even for medium to larger dogs.

At 12 years of age, if he does not improve or get worse, a basic blood profile to at least screen for any more serious systemic (internal) issues will be a good idea. Sorry to hear what happened to Oscar, and hope he can settle quickly. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.
Dr. Andy

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 3 years ago.
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?