Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My Westhighland terriers toilet is very hard it almost crumbles

Customer Question

My Westhighland terriers toilet is very hard it almost crumbles when I pick it up is there something I can give him to help him or is it alright.

Thank you for your advice

Shirley Clemo
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question Shirley. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Shirley, when the stool is hard and dry it is a sign of a lack of water in the diet and can lead to constipation. You need to get Sam to drink more by:
1- Increase the amount of wet food in his diet.
2- Add 1-2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin to his food, increasing fiber pulls water into the intestinal tract.
3- Get him to drink more by offering low sodium chicken broth.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!