Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 9 week old pug puppy, and he is usually playful. Today

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old pug puppy, and he is usually playful. Today he doesn't want to get out of bed, and when he does, he just wants to cuddle. Any ideas what's wrong?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta , a licensed veterinarian and am happy to answer your question.

I have a few questions to help me better assist you.

Has Doug been vaccinated?

Is he vomiting or having diarrhea?

Will Doug eat?

Could he have gotten into anything odd yesterday?

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was sick this morning. He hasn't has his injections yet, but is booked in for Monday. His poo is normal, and he is eating normally. He hasn't got into anything, as he has been supervised the whole time, and sleeps in a crate at night
Thank you Katie for that information....

Puppies have very sensitive digestive tracts and it appears that he has some form of digestive disturbance. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Doug for 12 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.

Give Doug Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.

Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes

After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If he is feeling better, then wean him back to his diet. If Doug is still not feeling well, have your vet examine him to be sure we have not missed something such as worm load or intestinal obstruction.

Does that make sense to you, Katie?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta