Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My bmd dog of 11 month has his front legs a bit turned out.

Customer Question

My bmd dog of 11 month has his front legs a bit turned out. I believe it's called east west. I am concerned as a have him as a show dog.Is there anything I can do to help? would regular doggy tredmil help as I do have acces to one nearby, or perhaps some supplements.Someone has mentioned lots of road walking to strengthen the muscles. I would appreciate your opinion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Teresa, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Boris hasn't been answered. I'm sorry that you've had to wait for a response but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

I've been involved with the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog Breed (cousins to the Berner's) for a number of years now so I'm quite familiar with orthopedic issues which they might have.
Not that I necessarily consider the easty/westy stance to be a problem since this may have a great deal to do with the rate at which these dogs grow, especially the larger dogs.

Many dogs will go through growth phases where bones/muscles grow at different rates. If he's a big boy, then he still has quite a bit of growing to do. Once his chest comes in (or fills out), then his legs may straighten...I've seen this more times than I can count. Just because he's a little easty/westy now, doesn't mean that he will stay this way.

Personally, I've never found supplements to be effective for this problem. However, I do encourage owners to feed a well balanced diet, making sure not to over-feed their dogs.
Walking is always important to build muscles and keep a dog in shape.
Whether or not hydrotherapy will help in a situation like this is not known but it certainly won't hurt in building tone to his chest muscles.

Even if his legs remain in this position, you can still show him. An experienced handler will know how to show him to his best advantage, All dogs will have faults but if he's otherwise sound and moves well and is structurally well put together, he could still do well. And, I speak from experience about this!

I hope this helps; again, my apologies for the delayed response. Deb