Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

my dogs salt level is 25 what can I do to increase it to 2

Customer Question

my dogs salt level is 25 what can I do to increase it to 28?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I need to ask some questions to better understand what is going on with Sam. Did your vet run some blood work to determine that his Na level is low? Why did they run blood work as far as what clinical signs was he having to warrant them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes vet did blood tests as he thought he may have Addissons tests all come back clear only salt levels low. Not really any symptons only he was a bit sleepy he also is diabetic and his blood sugars were a bit high. Hope you can answer my question with this information.
Sarah Pyper.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Sarah. As far as the Addison's test, did they do an ACTH stimulation test for it? Have they checked multiple blood chemistries to see that the low Na is repeatable? Tis may take a little back and forth and time, but that is ok!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes . WHAT CAN I DO TO INCREASE SALT LEVEL?
Sarah Pyper

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
In a situation where the Na is low, one of the things to consider when an Addison's test is coming up negative is a Whipworm infestation. This is an intestinal parasite that can cause blood work like this and can be very hard to diagnose on a stool evaluation as the eggs aren't shed continuously. That being said, what would be a very reasonable next step is to deworm Sam through your vet and then recheck the blood work after an additional week to see if that has any help on the situation. It is weird to think an intestinal parasite can cause similar signs, but it does. AS far as increasing Na levels, the other option is having more NaCl in the diet to have more absorbed by the body. There is no set specific amount to do this.