Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

have a westie cross and has a condition where everything he

Customer Question

have a westie cross and has a condition where everything he eats he smells of, his skin is pink has a itchy greasy coat after 2 days of having a bath, can you recommend a treatment to help him out he has been tested and has numerous allergies just about all house allergies and those in fields
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

This odor is caused by this allergc reaction that is causing a secondary pyoderma or skin infection. The following treatment will help:

1. Give Westie Benadryl at 1 to 2 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.
  2. Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
  3. Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.

If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. In most cases, this is enough to calm down the odor and secondary pyoderma.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, Dr. Loretta

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your excellent advice it was for my sisters Westie she has faithfully written down all the advice you have given. Appreciative

You are very welcome, Diane...I hope this helps your sisters Westie and makes him feel much better.