Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My westie has very sore paws has been on several doses of antibiotics

Customer Question

My westie has very sore paws has been on several doses of antibiotics and steroids which have had no effect. They have now put him on atopic and I don't like the side effects can you suggest anything homeopathic for him
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Archie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

If you want to treat him homeopathically, you need to have him examined by a veterinarian trained in homeopathy. Homeopathy works by coming up with a homeopathic diagnosis, and then choosing the proper remedy for that diagnosis. Homeopathic remedies are dilutions of drugs and chemicals that cause the same symptoms as the diseases. I could not give you a homeopathic remedy recommendation without being able to examine him.

Sometimes people mean herbal or "holistic" treatments when they refer to homeopathy. If his sore paws are due to allergies ( and Westies are a breed prone to allergies), I would recommend bathing his feet daily in oatmeal shampoo to remove the allergens he is contacting. I would use fish oil or Evening Primrose oil for Omega fatty acids. I would try quercetin, vitamin E, probiotics, and prebiotics.

Every allergy case is different, and what works for one dog does not help the next one at all. You have to try some or all of these to see what works for him. Acupuncture and homeopathy may be helpful as well, but you would need to have him examined by a veterinarian who is trained in these practices.

Over the counter antihistamines like Claritin and Benedryl can also be helpful/

There is no cure, in any medical tradition, that cures allergies, unless you can identify and remove the allergens and remove them from his environment. You can have tests done to identify his allergies.

Please let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Rebecca