Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My precious dog underwent a total hip replacement in august.

Customer Question

My precious dog underwent a total hip replacement in august. He was well for 2 or 3 days and then gradually and then rapidly deteriorated. He had a continuous fever, was losing weight and struggling to get up. We went back and forth to the vet and was eventually admitted to a specialist hospital. He was put on iv antibiotics x 3 , very strong painkillers etc etc. After 9 days he had to be put to sleep. Further tests have shown necrotic tissue around the hip replacement and severe infection. I am devastated by the loss and feel the vets were at fault - what do you think please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Liz, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you with your concern about Blaine.

First, let me express me sincere condolences on your loss. I know this must have been absolutely heartbreaking to lose him this way.

Unfortunately, complications such as infections are always possible when any sort of surgical procedure is performed...whether in humans or in our canine patients. Are these infections secondary to poor surgical technique or a suppressed immune system or bacteria in the blood which settled in the surgery site? Any and all are possibile explanations.

If an infection or complications associated with the surgery were not suspected by the first vet and aggressively addressed, then this would be cause for blame, in my opinion.

I hope this helps although I know it doesn't ease the pain you're suffering from the loss of your beloved pet. Deb