Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 8+ years experience.
21393945

my dog is 14 s old he is leaking little and he ha now developed

Customer Question

my dog is 14 s old he is leaking little and he ha now developed a shivver , should i be worried , every day i have with my dog at this age is a bonus , i really am reluctant to take him to the vets, please help!!!!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. It is not uncommon for aging dogs to develop urinary incontinence. It is far more common in females, but males can be affected. In most cases, the strength of the urethral sphincter muscles is compromised. Typically it is hormonal, but issues like spinal disease, bladder tumor, bladder stones, etc can also lead to incontinence. There is no useful home treatment for this so it may be worth discussing a medication called phenylpropanolamine (PPA) with your vet. This can help with strengthening those muscles. There are as also hormonal products, but in a male you are more likely to see success with PPA.
The shiver may or may not be related. If this is related to a spinal issue, subtle pain can lead to a slight shiver and could affect urinary control. In some cases, the shiver can also be related to anxiety, temperature (aging dogs can experience slower circulation making maintaining normal body temperature more difficult), etc.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff