Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Hi my question is about my alsation dog called tara who has

Customer Question

Hi my question is about my alsation dog called tara who has back paw nerve damage it has gone into her other paw now and she is finding it difficult to walk with out falling down, also when doing her toilet business she is falling in it or just walking along doing it. My family and I are worried about when the ice and snow come. We have been told it would be kinder to have her put to sleep. What would you do . distressed pet owner .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.

Rebecca :

Rebecca :

I am sorry to hear about Tara.

Rebecca :

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

Rebecca :

There is a condition, called degenerative myelopathy, that is seen in this breed. It is a gradual deterioration of the spinal cord, and the dog slowly loses nerve function of the hind legs, and eventually can lose function of the colon and bladder. If Tara has DM, it will get worse, and pain medication will not help.

Rebecca :

If she were my own dog, I would have her checked over by a veterinary neurologist, to be sure of the diagnosis. There are other condition besides DM that could cause this.

Rebecca :

A veterinarian at the vet school in Florida, US has studied DM for years, and recommends a course of supplements and vitamins that have helped some dogs. Here is an article about his work and recommendations: http://www.drschoen.com/hopeful-news-for-degenerative-neurologic-diseases/

Rebecca :

Here is another article about it, which also describes the blood test that can be done to see if she does have DM: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2600

Rebecca :

I am not seeing responses from you, so I will try another way to connect with you.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 3 years ago.
Patricia,
I hope you can see what I am writing now.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help with.

Rebecca