Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I gave my chauiwahi the gristle off a couple if spare ribs.

Customer Question

I gave my chauiwahi the gristle off a couple if spare ribs. She's got a very runny yum and her tummy is making churning noises. What shall I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry to learn Chilli has the runs. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

The churning noises you are hearing is secondary to the hyperactivity from the intestines and smooth muscle contraction as she has diarrhea. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24-48 hours, have her checked by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter