Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My daughter has a 9 month old beagle cross who has been

Customer Question

My daughter has a 9 month old beagle cross bitch who has been in season for the last week or so. The dog is still bleeding and I understand that she will only be receptive to dogs when this has ceased. My daughter wants me to have the dog overnight at the weekend but I have 3 castrated male dogs in the house. Is this likely to cause problems? Do castrated males still show interest in bitches in season? I don't want to spend the night chasing after rampant dogs - one of mine has a heart problem so I especially don't want him upsetting.
Gill
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is Dr. Peter I am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today.

Friend, though castrated male dogs can and will show interest when a female dog is in heat (estrus). In fact, they will even breed once the female allows them too. They can't get her pregnant but all else remains the same.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!