Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Hi, last Saturday my beloved minature daschund lady slipped

Customer Question

Hi, last Saturday my beloved minature daschund lady slipped her collar near a main road whilst out walking with my mum. She took two steps onto the road and was hit by an oncoming car, she died within minutes with not a mark on her. The guilt of not tightening up her collar is literally eating me up inside. I think about her all the time and cannot stop crying. I thought her collar was looser (fractionally) and started to tighten it up bit got distracted and stopped. This was about four days before it happened. She had however had that collar on for months and this had never happened. She was full of life and genuinely my best friend. I feel as if I have let her down in a big way and wonder often if she suffered. My mum assures me that she didn't and it was over in minutes but I cannot get this out of my head and it's driving me insane. She was at first my mum thought ok as she was running underneath the car. My mum tried getting her out and she was I'm presuming in shock and bit and hung onto my mums hands. She really did make a mess of them and that makes me think she was frightened. I cannot bare this idea as she was my baby, and hate the idea of her suffering. My partner says I need counseling, I don not know if this is true or what to even do? I know as a get you deal with living animals , but my question really is did she suffer ? I'm distraught and really struggling with the fact that I could of prevented this tragic accident happening. Kind regards Charlie
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Oh, Charlie, I'm so, so sorry for your loss; I know you must be absolutely devastated by this.

I feel quite certain that Lady didn't suffer; I'm certain that everything happened so suddenly to her that she didn't feel pain. It's quite possible that she experienced brain damage which is why she died with no external injuries but they would have been extensive enough to be fatal.
It's also possible that her heart ruptured from the impact of the car. She would have bled out internally in a very short period of time. This also would not have been painful for her.

I know you carry enormous guilt over this. I wish that there was some way that I could ease your pain but I know there isn't, unfortuatetly.
I also know that there are no words which can adequately express the emotional devastation you feel at this time but it might help to share with others who have been through similar circumstances.

These two links (LINK , LINK) are berevrement support groups which may help you.

My sincerest condolences on your loss. I know there's going to be a huge hole in your heart for a very long time to come. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Charlie:
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lady. I just wanted to check in with you to see how you're holding up since her passing.
I know that you're still grieving...and will for a long time...but if there's anything more I can do to help you, please let me know. Deb