Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

my dog started vomiting two days ago it was yellow in colour

my dog started vomiting two days ago it was yellow in colour and stank she has repeated this twice since after eating grass she has drank a small amount of water since she is listless in comparison to normal
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your girl's situation. To best help, I need to ask some questions.

1) What is her name?
2) So she's vomited two days ago, yesterday, and today?
3) How long ago did she last vomit?
4) Is she spayed (can't have puppies)?
5) Is she one to chew on things?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

her name is pebbles she vomited 4 hours ago never been spayed no pups does not chew alot

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Geoffrey. Why is Pebbles' having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. The vomiting could be due to her having eaten something that is just not sitting well - ate some table scraps, got into the garbage, found something in the yard, new food, etc. Usually this doesn't last over a day though. It could also be due to something being stuck - a foreign body such as a sock, rock, stick, piece of plastic, etc. With young dogs with vomiting over a couple days, this is always a consideration. Some dogs have a history of chewing on everything and others seem to not chew on anything. I've learned over my career that it is always on the list of rule outs with every dog. It could be due to pancreatitis. It could be due to other metabolic issues such as kidney, liver or adrenal issues. Being able to tell what of these it is due to requires a physical exam, x-rays, and some blood work. At this time, I would recommend having her seen as soon as possible to determine what is going on and how best she can be treated.

If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today / tonight, I'd pull up food and water from her for 8 hours. This literally means nothing - no treats, no food, no sips of water, nothing. Be sure to close toilet lids, pick up other pets water bowls, and monitor if goes outside so nothing can be ate or drank out there. The goal here is to let the stomach rest. If anything is ate or drank during this time, it has a very good chance of upsetting the stomach more. After we get past this time frame of having nothing, then we can start to allow access to water making sure not too much is drank at once. This is done by giving 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of water every 20 minutes for 1 hour. If no vomiting occurs with this, then after one hour of having the water available, you can start to offer bland food. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures. This is prepared by mixing 3/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup of the boiled hamburger or skinless chicken. You can then give 1 cup of this combination per 20 pounds every 8 to 12 hours. I would over the next couple days then progressively get Pebbles back onto her regular food.

The huge hurdle for her to get over is the vomiting. If this continues, if she gets very weak, if she has obvious abdominal pain, or is not starting to eat and drink after 24 hours - she absolutely needs a veterinary exam. She at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!! Please let me know what questions this brings up Geoffrey.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience