Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 8 year old Labrador is refusing to go for a walk with me

Customer Question

My 8 year old Labrador is refusing to go for a walk with me but will happily go with other people. I have tried everything to coax her with no effect. She got a fright when there was a loud bang whilst walking passed a house. I am at my wits end as she normally loves her walks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about Holly's fears. This is sometimes tough to get past but there are a few tricks that may help. After this type of trauma, you will have to "Desensitize" Holly to being with you by taking her out many times over and over. Before doing this, purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will help decrease her anxiety about going out with you...she is now associating this noise with being with you. Once the collar is on, coax her out without forcing her and always give her a treat when she even makles 1 step....you will have to be patient with her but eventually Holly will get past this. If the DAP Collar is not enough, your vet will have a good anti anxiety medication to help Holly past this.

This LINK has other tips...Good luck!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Thank you so much, Wendy for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Holly's issues.

Have a great day!!