Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

4 year old golden retreiver with sore right ear, no pus

4 year old golden retreiver bitch with sore right ear, no pus or leakage just red with some brown dried 'stuff' in crease
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Joey :

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

Dr. Joey :

If the ear is itchy and red, and you see this brown stuff, then this indicates she has an infection. The most common infection to cause these signs is a yeast infection. Yeast if a very common infection in the ears, especially in this breed. It can occur secondary to having had a bath or swim in the past week or so, or related to an underlying allergy (such as food allergy or atopic dermatiits/environmental allergy). There is not a lot you can do over-the-counter for this other than cleanse out the ear with an appropriate ear cleaner that you can purchase for dogs. Just do this clean every 2 to 5 days. In some situations this might actually improve the situation. If you do not have access to a petstore or cleaner you can make your own cleaner by using vinegar and water at a 1part vinegar to 4 parts water. I do not prefer this cleaner because it does not have a product in it to help dry out the water after instilled into the ear as most commercially prepared ear cleaners do, but it cannot hurt. If you have a previously prescribed ear medication for a yeast infection then you could try starting this again (active ingredients to look for include clotrimazole or miconazole). My best recommendation is to have your veterinarian take a look and then do what we call an "ear cytology" where (s)he may get a swab of the ear and then look at this sample in-house under a microscope to know if there is an infection and then what kind is present. THen appropriate medicaiton can be prescribe to give her some relief.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 3 years ago.

You appear to be unavailable for a live chat or we are having a difficult time connecting. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialog in this setting.

I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.