Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Hello, My Labrador has been behaving strangely over the

My Labrador has been behaving strangely over the last few days. He keeps lying down in the and refusing to move for maybe 30mins or an hour or so. Hes crying/whining all the time he is sat there but will suddenly get up and move around as normal. When he is lying down he only moves his front legs, so he 'pivots' on the spot, which makes me think it might be something wrong with his legs but he wags his tale just fine. He's still able to move when he goes out for walks but this is the second time he has done this; both times first thing in the morning. He's 10yrs old.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?
2- Is he having difficulty going up stairs or getting up from the floor?
3- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1-No vomiting, diarrhea or coughing although he has been eating grass when he goes for a walk which I understand is intended to make himself sick.

2-No, his movement is the same as normal

3-Not sure (He' my mothers dog) but he is large for a labrador

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Alan, the symptoms that you are describing are consistent with neuromuscular problem like arthritis of the hips. The fact that it happens in the morning further supports arthritis. You see, arthritic patients tend to become a little painful or stiff after resting for a while. Then, once they get up and start moving the discomfort will go away. I would recommend a hands on examination with family veterinarian to rule in arthritis, in the meantime start him on Glucosamine/chondroitin supplement 13.5mg per kilogram body weight once a day long term. You can buy glucosamine over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist) or local pet store.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter