Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a four year old German Shepherd Bitch who is brown and

I have a four year old German Shepherd Bitch who is brown and tan for the most part with a very black face and muzzle. Over the last few months some of the pigment around her eyes has changed colour and have become almost white. I keep checking for any lumps or bumps and her eyesight seems fine. We have visited a vet once who took one look at her and sent her away saying she was fine without actually touching her. The blondish pigment around her right eye is slightly larger than her left. Should I be worried ? There is no change in her manner or behaviour and she always has a healthy appetite?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.

Good Morning and welcome to Just answer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that there is a pigment change around Koda's eyes. This is probably not a medical condition and is due to genetics and not harmful to her. The only time we worry is when there is haior loss, itching or red raw areas which may indicate a mange mite that would start around her eyes. If this changes in other areas, this could eb due to a Hypothyroid condition and you should have Koda tested for this. In the meantime, as long as she is happy and healthy, there is no problem taht I can tell.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr Loretta. I was hoping to hear something along these lines. My worry was that it was a symptom of something more serious lurking in the eyes!

Thank you again and I will keep a close eye (excuse the pun) on Koda.

XXXXX XXXXX

You are very welcome, Janet...this does not mean anything is wrong with Koda's eyes. luckily...it is most likely a pigment change due to genes....it is good to keep an eye on it but I do not think you have to worry,Janet..

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Janet....Koda too!!

Thank you so much, Janet for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about Koda's condition.

Have a great day!!