Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

My 6 month old labrador has just eaten a small sock will he

My 6 month old labrador has just eaten a small sock will he sick it out or will it come out the other end in a day or two
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. This type of situation is one that can a potentially very, very serious one. But it is one that may not be that bad. If the sock was just eaten, the best thing to do is to try to get him to vomit it up now. If he brings it up, then the situation is resolved. If he doesn't bring it up, there is a chance he could vomit it up later, he could pass it in his stools, or it could block him up. If he doesn't vomit it up and in the next few days to weeks starts to vomit, not eat, or get painful in his belly - then there is a good chance it is stuck.

Here is a good link on how to induce vomiting at home. Click to close the pop up to see the main article.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx