Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Hello my 16 week old Labrador pup has just eaten a malteser,

Hello my 16 week old Labrador pup has just eaten a malteser, well, he licked the chocolate off before i noticed and got the biscuit bit out his mouth. He's got hiccups. Will he be ok?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. How much do you think that Mac weighs? Is this link the product that he got into?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltesers

Was it just one of the Maltesers that he locked the chocolate off of?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it was only 1 he licked the chocolate off. He weighs approx 9.5kg
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Morag. This situation should be a very good one. Chocolate is a toxin for dogs but the level of toxicity varies by what type of chocolate is ingested, how much is ingested and how big the patient is. The amount of chocolate on one Malteser for a dog his size wouldn't make me worried about him having any signs of a toxicity from it. At his size, I wouldn't expect any signs if he'd eaten the entire package. If that happened, he may have some diarrhea, but as far as actual chocolate toxicity with stimulation, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythyms and seizures - the dose wouldn't be close to those. Milk chocolate isn't as toxic as dark chocolate which isn't as bad as baking chocolate or cocoa's. So again, getting the milk chocolate off one of these for a guy his size is going to be ok!