How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18775
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now

Hello my 16 week old Labrador pup has just eaten a malteser,

Resolved Question:

Hello my 16 week old Labrador pup has just eaten a malteser, well, he licked the chocolate off before i noticed and got the biscuit bit out his mouth. He's got hiccups. Will he be ok?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Hi,

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. How much do you think that Mac weighs? Is this link the product that he got into?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltesers

Was it just one of the Maltesers that he locked the chocolate off of?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it was only 1 he licked the chocolate off. He weighs approx 9.5kg
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that information Morag. This situation should be a very good one. Chocolate is a toxin for dogs but the level of toxicity varies by what type of chocolate is ingested, how much is ingested and how big the patient is. The amount of chocolate on one Malteser for a dog his size wouldn't make me worried about him having any signs of a toxicity from it. At his size, I wouldn't expect any signs if he'd eaten the entire package. If that happened, he may have some diarrhea, but as far as actual chocolate toxicity with stimulation, vomiting, abnormal heart rhythyms and seizures - the dose wouldn't be close to those. Milk chocolate isn't as toxic as dark chocolate which isn't as bad as baking chocolate or cocoa's. So again, getting the milk chocolate off one of these for a guy his size is going to be ok!
Dr. Bruce and 5 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions