Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has lots of scabs all over his body he has no fleas

my dog has lots of scabs all over his body he has no fleas etc and has gone very pink around his eyes and the sides of his mouth are very red is this a sign he is very pooerly? even though he is full of anergy and he also has two swellings near his throat !
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he itchy?
2- How long has this been going on?
3- Where are the swelling below the jaw?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

he doesnt seem to scratch and when i examine the scabs they seem white and flaky and if removed they seem to look like warts underneath

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Can you expand on the swellings near his throat?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they are two what seems lumps theres a main one and i think two smaller ones it doesnt stop him eating

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Are the lumps below the jaw where a human would have the "Adam's Apple"?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes the lumps are below they seem one ontop of the other sorry not sure how you rate !!

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.
Mike, the scabs and redness you are seeing in the skin is consistent with a bacterial infection (superficial pyoderma) which can be secondary to another underlying problem like allergies, hormonal disorders, mites, etc. Tobi should be seen by family veterinarian to be started on oral antibiotics. In the meantime you can pick up an antibacterial shampoo like Chlorhexiderm (chlorhexidine) in your local pet store and bath him 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks then once every 21 days.

As far as the swelling you are seeing I believe they are enlarged lymph nodes. When we see enlargement of lymph nodes it is usually secondary to an infection and in some cases cancer (lymphoma). To determine the exact nature of the lumps/swellings I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter