Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

8YR old akita called casper, hard lump on base of tail growing

8YR old akita called casper, hard lump on base of tail growing where his tail attaches to his body, dog struggling to climb stairs ect when usually bounces up and down
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has Casper had the lump and trouble with the stairs?
2- Any coughing, vomiting or diarrhea?
3- Any pre existing medical conditions?
4- How much does he weigh?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it has been there for about 6 weeks it was small to start of with but has got bigger in the last two week, he starting having trouble with the stairs about a week ago, no coughing, vomiting of diarrhea, no pre existing medical conditions, he weighs approx six and a half to 7 stone

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
1- So prior to last week he never showed problems getting up from the floor, slowing down, etc.?
2- Any other symptoms?
3- Is the lump on the tail above or below the skin?
4- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no mobility problems before, no other symptoms, below the skin, i am in work so cant check his gums

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 years ago.
Liz, I don't believe the growth on the base of the tail is the cause of Casper's difficulty going up the stairs. You see the nerve endings on the base of the tail should not interfere with the motor function of the limbs. Common causes that would cause difficulty going up stairs in Casper are: Hip disorders, a pinch nerve along the back as a result of a bulging disc or even weakness secondary to a systemic disease. Casper is going to need a hands on examination, blood work and xrays as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test findings.
To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter