Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Occasionally my dog, he will be 4 in March, seems to have a

Occasionally my dog, he will be 4 in March, seems to have a problem with bile he retches and brings up yellow foam - what would be a good food to give him to avoid this
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jill, I'm Dr. Deb and I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Doodle. I do have a few questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. How often is "occasionally"?
2. When he does vomit bile, it is at the same time of day or it could be any time?
3. How often do you feed him?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

intermittently say 6 weeks ish

could be anytime. actually never during the night

each evening -

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.

Jill:
Thanks for the answers to my questions.

Since the episodes only occur so infrequently, I'm not sure if this would necessarily qualify for what's known as Bilious Vomiting Syndrome but it might.
The underlying cause for this condition is usually different for every dog but is often related to excess acid build-up in the stomach. Acid can be irritating to the stomach lining which causes these dogs to vomit the yellow bile that you see.

For some dogs, this condition may be related to scheduling of mealtimes (they often vomit right before a meal, not after); for others it may be a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (many of the dogs with this condition feel nauseous and don't want to eat) while Gastric Reflux may be an explanation for other dogs.

Regardless of the underlying possible cause, the following are my suggestions to help prevent this from happening even as infrequently as every 6 weeks.

1. A change in diet as you originally asked about may help. I usually recommend a prescription hypoallergenic diet such as Purina HA or Royal Canin HP but you would have to purchase these from your vet. Another option would be to take the label of your current dog food to the pet store and find something entirely different but focus on the protein and carbohydrate sources. There are many options available at pet stores these days. Whether it's dry or canned doesn't really make a difference.

2. If there is a consistent pattern to the vomiting where it happens during the day, then modifying the feeding schedule may be helpful…perhaps from once a day to two or three times a day, if possible. I'd be surprised if he vomited at night since he most likely still have some food in his stomach.

3. Antacids can be particularly effective for this problem if it occurs regularly (such as daily or several times a week):
Pepcid AC at a dose of 1/4 mg/lb twice a day
Prilosec at a dose of 1/2 mg/lb once a day (it can be given twice, if necessary).
Zantac at a dose of 1 mg/lb twice a day.

For those dogs who vomit bile much more frequently than this and for whom the symptomatic treatment that I've mentioned above is unsuccessful, additional testing is usually suggested. However, most dogs appears to respond well to just a few modifications in the timing and the content of their meals.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 3 years ago.
Jill:

Thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated. Regards, Deb

Kindly ignore the request for additional information