Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Hi my miniature Schnauzer aged 5, passed some calcium stones

Hi my miniature Schnauzer aged 5, passed some calcium stones two months ago and has since started having blood traces in her urine and urinating on rugs and carpets which is unusual for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 years ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question about Ruby. I'm sorry to hear about these urinary accidents and the blood traces in her urine. Given the history of the previous calcium stones in her bladder, there has to be an extremely high suspicion that even despite the diet change, some more stones have formed. When stones are in the bladder, they can irritate the bladder wall to cause slight bleeding like your seeing in the urine. The other possibility is that if there are stones there, they irritated the bladder and set up for a urinary tract infection that caused the slight blood. The third likely possibility is that she just has a urinary tract infection with no stones. What would be the best plan here is to have your vet take x-rays of her bladder and evaluate her urine to see which of the three is going on. PLease let me know what questions this brings up.